While I love this blog, I now pretty much only write on my other two blogs: BirdingBlogs.com and 10,000 Birds - I would love to see you there!

Wednesday 2 July 2008

Digibinning, Diginocking or simply BAD photography

A few weeks ago, I asked a question on birdforum.net about what people call taking photos through a pair of binoculars (kinda like digiscoping's little sister ;-). I was calling it diginocking. I liked the silliness of the name and it added a bit of lightness to my attempts at taking photos (and videos!) through my binnies.

Last year we visited Kruger National Park in South Africa (amongst other lovely places there), and I managed to get some half decent leopard, black rhino and elephant photos through my SLCs but I always struggled to align the camera lens with the binoculars. Most of the time I managed to avoid too much vignetting but I still often got a washed-out blue haze over many of the photos. I continued to practice and got my best results with some friendly ducks in Lago di Garda a few months ago.


Then last Saturday, I went out with the guys from Natopia and Tirol Werbung (related to a project they are doing with Swarovski Optik called Nature Watch) and got to play about with their quick-shot adapter. I had heard a bit about it but I never expected anything near the results I got.
I had sooo much fun!

The little plastic job fit on to the top of my bins and held our little camera in place quite nicely. I am not the biggest fan of our camera (Casio ex-z110) but still I was quite happy with the results.


I took some lovely photos of Luke Pfeiffer through my ELs: a beautiful young man with a sharp mind hiding behind deep eyes (I'll just wait for his folks' permission before posting them here).

It seems that most people on bird forum call this digibinning but my absolute favorite was BAD photography - Binocular Assisted Digital Photography. Gotta love that!


Here are a few other photos from the day:





Happy birding
Dale

No comments: